This castle was built in 1627-1644 by the Polish – Lithuanian nobleman, Krzysztof Ossoliński. The name Krzyżtopór which comprises of two words – krzyż means cross and topór means axe – comes from the coat of arms of the Ossoliński Family and Krzysztof Ossoliński’s strong religious beliefs. Both the cross and the axe are still present over the entrance gate.
It would never be too much to say that the Krzyżtopór Castle is the most magnificent magnate residence in Poland ever known. Despite having suffered major damage over the ages, about 90 % of the original walls have remained. Almost all the rooms and halls up until the second floor, the underground stables and cellars as well as the tops of the fortifications which mark out the walking trail around the pentagon of the old palace wings are available to visitors.
Photo: Andrzej Paszkowski
Distance from the hotel: 62 km
More information on: Szczegółowe informacje o Zamku